Corrado Body Kit
Peter Beers
9/11/2005
PedroGringo@yahoo.com

Update 11/14/2005. Click HERE for the lastest.

This is the first bumper that I've painted and installed myself, so I thougth I'd document the process for getting it ready.

I started out by sanding the gel coat on the fiberglass to get it perfectly smooth and even. I have a DeWalt 5" orbital sander that is great for detail work. With 220 grit sand paper on it for the first coat and 400 grit for the second, the gel coat came out looking really nice. All the detail areas were sanded by hand with 220 and 400 grit paper.

I started with the sanding because I really wanted to get to know this bumper better. There are always little flaws in the modling and the gel coat. Sanding and smoothing is a good first step to see what needs more attention.

I found that the turn signal area is going to need a little help. I test fit the lights and they were a little too tight. I'm going to have to trim the bumper with the dremmel a little to get it right. If you look at the side of the bumper, you'll notice that there are two seams in the fiberglass that need to be smoothed. I'll hit them with a little bondo and sand that down so it is smooth and looks good. Finally, I'm going to have to cut out the vents on the side of the bumper. I'll draw out the lines that I want to cut with a sharpie and then do the actual cutting with the dremmel. I've got a detail sander that will clean up the holes that are cut very quickly.

Before I start fixing the seams in the fiberglass, I'm going to wipe the bumper down with degreaser to make sure there is nothing on it. I'll then use a tack cloth to get rid of any dust on the bumper. Then it is time to bondo.

I spread bondo along the seam and let it set. Then it was back to sanding. 220 grit then 400 grit. I applied a second layer of bondo to get rid of a low spot. 220 grit sanding, then a bit of block sanding to get it level. Then 400 grit sanding.

I cut the side vents and shaped them. I also trimmed the area where the turn signals mount.

The first round of sanding is finally done. It has been primed and is ready for sanding on that.

The side skirts were sanded, primed and test fit. I finally went and installed them. This was not as easy as it might seem. Rieger side skirts are approximately 1/2" longer than the space available. I had to shim the bolts that go in the wheel wells. I'm also going to have to trim them down a bit to make sure the tires don't rub.

The Dietrich rear valence went on perfectly. I'll need to adjust it a bit and eventually I'll blend it into the rear bumper. You can see the photos below.

 

page 1 of 2 Next

I_MG_4087_RS-Line-Bumper I_MG_4088_RS-Line-Bumper I_MG_4089_RS-Line-Bumper I_MG_4090_RS-Line-Bumper I_MG_4091_RS-Line-Bumper
I_MG_4087_RS-Line-Bumper.jpg         I_MG_4088_RS-Line-Bumper.jpg         I_MG_4089_RS-Line-Bumper.jpg         I_MG_4090_RS-Line-Bumper.jpg         I_MG_4091_RS-Line-Bumper.jpg        
I_MG_4679 I_MG_4680 I_MG_4681 I_MG_4688 I_MG_4707
I_MG_4679.jpg         I_MG_4680.jpg         I_MG_4681.jpg         I_MG_4688.jpg         I_MG_4707.jpg        
I_MG_4708 I_MG_4709 I_MG_4779 I_MG_4780 I_MG_4782
I_MG_4708.jpg         I_MG_4709.jpg         I_MG_4779.jpg         I_MG_4780.jpg         I_MG_4782.jpg